Saturday 14 March 2009

April in York




Well, it's still a bit nippy but spring is ALMOST here.... because the daffodils are starting to open their pretty little heads all around the city walls of York. I usually prefer the pastel coloured flowers, but seeing the swathes of yellow all around the city walls is breathtaking.

I have to say, there is nothing like April in York. I keep humming "April in Paris" but if truth be told, I think "April in York" is just as good, if not better, because it is a more intimate city! There is a reason York is rated highly on the "romantic break" barometer!

One of my favourite walks (which I would also classify as romantic!) is along the City Walls - starting at the Skeldergate Bridge entrance, just across from the Penthouse and Apartment. You can start here and follow it all the way around past the train station where the Minster comes into view - this view still takes my breathe away (no, the walk isn't difficult, and no, I'm not that out of shape!) You have to come off the walls to cross the river and join it again at Bootham Bar. If you carry on from Bootham Bar along the city walls, there is a little spot behind the Minster were you can either sit on the bench and have a picnic lunch whilst enjoying the views of the Minster and its gardens in the warm sunshine, or carry on until Monk Bar where you can descend and walk back into the centre to find a bite to eat!

Then after the daffodils come the cherry blossom.... Oh, I wish I could capture the feeling in a photo! But I can't.

Now it's time to get out and sow some more "lily of the valley" in the garden - another of my favourite flowers - the smell, intoxicating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment